Many LPG (propane & butane) and agricultural ammonia piping systems do not provide ideal net positive suction head (NPSH) conditions for liquid pumps. As a result the poor NPSH conditions lead to excessive pump maintenance.
Since reciprocating compressors are only exposed to vapors, they are not affected by poor NPSH conditions. Many LPG and agricultural ammonia pressurized tanks such as railcars and buried tanks have top unloading connections. A reciprocating compressor is the perfect solution for transferring liquids to and from tanks of this type.
Our plain style vertical reciprocating compressor line is a single packed compressor and does not offer oil-free gas compression. This packing configuration is typically used in non-corrosive, non-toxic applications where oil-free service is not required and leakage containment is not critical. Plain style compressors are commonly used in propane, butane, agricultural ammonia, and natural gas applications. If oil-free compression and leakage containment are critical, we recommend using one of our D- or T-Style designs. A D-Style compressor has two sets of V-ring packing while the T-Style has three sets. Most propane, butane and agricultural ammonia applications only require a plain style compressor.
To find a plain style reciprocating compressor for your application, refer to the information listed below. If your propane, butane or agricultural ammonia application requires oil-free gas compression or a higher level of containment, you can review our D- and T-Style designs.
- Plain style reciprocating compressors utilize one set of V-ring packing per piston rod and do not have a distance piece
- Plain style configurations are not oil-free designs
- Typically used in non-toxic, non-corrosive applications where oil-free gas is not required and leakage containment is not critical
- If oil-free gas compression is required, a D-Style or T-Style vertical compressor is recommended
- Piston displacements up to 117 cfm (198.8 m3/hr)
- Working pressures up to 450 psi (31.0 bar g)
- Brake horsepower up to 45 hp (34 kW)
- Maximum outlet temperature: 350 °F (177 °C)